Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Wrong choice of running shoe

I ran the Clumber 10k race on Sunday, but unfortunately chose to wear the wrong shoes. I may have previously said that I like the Asics DS racer, and they are good to use on an elliptical trainer or in the gym. They may be good for people if they are fit enough, but I would exercise caution.

Cushioning and support is minimal. This is to be expected as they are racing flats. So to run in them when I'm not 100%, and coming back from an injury was a mistake.

Things went fine up to 5k, then after this I was looking to speed up, and build the speed for a few kilometres, and finish fast. After maybe 6 or 7k my right calf started to hurt, so I was forced to stop 3 times before the finish to stretch it.

This may have happened if I'd worn a different pair of shoes, but I'm sure that they didn't help. Lots of stretching, and cold baths later the leg is feeling better.

I'll save the DS racers for gym work in future.

No comments: